Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Resistance

On my first medicated IUI cycle, I used relatively little medication to achieve the desired result. The next three IUIs, I was able to still use the same dosage. My last IUI, though, I had to do more stims to get the same result. This time, I've had to do even more. I momentarily worried that maybe I was going into premature ovarian failure because it was taking more medicine to achieve the desired result. But, my therapist reminded me of one simple truth: my ovaries are getting resistant. Just like you build your tolerance to alcohol, caffeine and other drugs, so too with stims. I choose to look at it this way, if we get pregnant, I won't have much medicine left over. If we don't get pregnant, I probably won't be using this particular medicine for IVF and so I won't have much left over. A win-win in my book.

No comments: