Thursday, January 31, 2008

Did I Mention I Don't Want Triplets?!

The latest blast report continues to have good news. They are growing just like they are supposed to and all 9 are dividing and multiplying. 7 are rated Grade A and 2 are rated Grade B+. The breakdown also reminds me of my report cards from school. Weird.

Knowing the genes that make them up, I am certain the two "B+" blasts are getting teased mercilessly by the 7 "A" blasts. We are very pleased so far, but we are still cautious about getting too excited.

Dr. Uterus and Dr. Freak Out are apparently in agreement that our best shot at a pregnancy is to transfer three blasts, rather than the two that Sweetie and I have discussed. I hadn't talked with Dr. Uterus yet about how many blasts I wanted to transfer, but I had mentioned to his nurse that we were looking for two since WE DON'T FREAKIN' WANT TRIPLETS. She mentioned this to him and he is still of the opinion that our best shot is with 3. This is consistent with the average number of blasts that he has transferred before in my age group according to the CDC reports.

Sweetie and I discussed it and are very hesitant not to follow their advice. The assumption has always been that if you transfer three, all three will implant and poof, we have triplets. The reality is that statistically, it's not a sure bet that even one will implant let alone three. So, we are willing to accept the risk of triplets in order to get a viable pregnancy.

I also need to stop turning to Dr. Google. Curiousity killed the cat and it sure as hell makes IVF a lot harder when you read all kinds of random studies about what does and does not make for a successful cycle.

For now, I'm going to focus on being really relaxed tomorrow since I read in an actual book (Dr. Silber's boringly-titled tome How to Get Pregnant) that women who were über-relaxed during the transfer had a much higher rate of pregnancy. Dr. Uterus also mentioned this, so it must be fact! Right?

5 comments:

peesticksandstones said...

Yikes! This stage of IVF is definitely one of the scariest-sounding to me. Congrats on making a decision and moving on. Wishing you lots of peace (and, of course, great success).

Deathstar said...

It's pretty hard to be relaxed and excited at the same time. Don't worry about it, just think positive thoughts. You'll be fine.

Pamela T. said...

Most excellent news on the developing blasts! Wishing you a peaceful and stress-free transfer...

Shinejil said...

Wonderful news, Mrs. X! I'm so glad the blasts are growing well and that so many of them are overachieving. Keep up the good work, guys!

I'll be sending you lots of extremely laid-back vibes and positive wishes for a smooth transfer.

Mrs.X said...

Thanks ladies for all of your support! I'll post later on how it went. I hear that Sweetie will have to wear a Bunny Suit for the procedure which will be worth the price of admission right there.